Borja Conejos (21) had an amazing 2019 season, winning the world cup overall and getting second at the UCI Urban Games. Last year was obviously special, but despite that, he managed to win the Spanish Championship, one of the hardest national championships to win.
With such achievements, it’s not a huge surprise to find him at the top of the 20″ UCI Trials Rankings, neither to see him signing with one of the strongest world cup teams on the circuit: Clean Trials.
Bashguardian sat down with Borja and asked him some questions about his new team, bike and ambitions for 2021.
[Interview starts below the image]
How did you end up signing with Clean?
– After the results in the 2019 and 2020 seasons, the possibility of joining the Clean Team opened up. In addition, the excellent relationship I’ve always had with Abel [Mustieles] obviously helped to make this happen too. For me it’s a great motivation to be part of this great team.
Clean probably have the strongest WC team at the moment, how does it feel to be a part of it?
– Yes, I think Clean have the strongest WC team at the moment, with some of the best riders. For me it’s a great challenge and an extra motivation. I hope to ride at my highest level with them.
How was the transition from your previous bike? Did it take a long time to adapt to the new bike?
– I’m very happy with my feelings on the new Clean K1 WC. My adaptation to the bike was very easy from the get go. I feel very comfortable and confident with the new geometry.
Tell us about your bike? What components have you chosen to ride?
– First of all I want to highlight that the K1 WC is the rigidest bike I’ve ever ridden. I’ve chosen the new Clean Trials Combo [handlebar], which is amazing. My brake setup is a Hope disc brake in rear and the Clean lever with HS33 slave cylinders in front. The rest of components are top-of-the-line Clean components.
2020 was an abnormal year, but did you manage to keep the training consistent and progress throughout the year?
– Yes, 2020 was an atypical and difficult year. During the lockdown I could keep training in the backyard of my house. After the lockdown, I went back to my normal training routine on the bike and in the gym, to prepare for the three races in the Spanish Cup and the Spanish Championship, which were postponed at the end of the season. The result could not have been better, winning both competitions.
You won the world cup overall in 2019, what are your ambitions for 2021?
– The level of trials is increasing every year, and this motivates me to keep training and improving. My goals for this season, as always, are to give my best in every competition and fight for the top.
Who are your sponsors for 2021 in addition to Clean?
– Apart from being on the Clean Team, I still have the support of Trial-Bikes. I count on Formula Salud for the physical and nutritional preparation. I’m very happy with the progress that we’ve made in the last two years working together, surpassing my goals every year. Secretos del Agua has the trust in me to continue to support me.
Something you would like to add in the end?
– I hope to see trials family soon ❤️